Monday, October 1, 2012

Mason Jar Candy Corn Holder Tutorial

Since my little guys birthday is now over & done, I've been able to put back the fall decorations and start working on a few new little things to add to the Fall Decor in my entryway. I wanted to add a little bit more, but not to much since my entryway table is kind of small but just enough to make it a little more festive & fun. 

One of the things new this year is my Mason Jar candy corn holder. I love mason jars, and growing up living in the country and having a 1/4-1/2 acre garden most of my childhood, mason jars were always around for canning purposes.  So crafting with them and using them as part of my decor brings back many, many memories of my childhood. And if you are on Pinterest or follow many blogs at all then you know you see all sorts of crafts made with mason jars, so this is definitely not something new,  just something new to my table decor. :-)





Supplies, you don't need much but this is what I used:
  • mason jar
  • lid
  • burlap 
  • ribbon
  • kraft paper
  • paint & paint brush
  • candy corn or other fall favorite
  • Other: hot glue gun, scissors

To figure out the length I would need I first measured the circumference of the jar so I would know how long of a piece of burlap I would need to cut, in this case it was about 10 1/2". You could choose pretty much any width you want,  I went with 2" because the ribbon I wanted to use with it was approx. 1 1/2" wide and I wanted to be sure I had plenty of the burlap showing on the sides. *Tip: If you want to know how to cut burlap without the mess be sure and head over to Meegan Makes as she recently wrote a post about this very thing.  Perfect timing!

Then wrap your burlap around the jar and attach using a little bit of hot glue. I actually folded the end of the burlap in a little to give it a more finished look so I didn't have the frayed end showing. 


Then I just wrapped the ribbon around and tied it in a bow. 

The next thing I wanted to do was make a little sign for it. So I took a piece of kraft paper, I trimmed it down to about a 1"x3" piece then tore the edges to give it a bit more of a rustic look. The sign ended up being just under 1"x 2 1/2"-ish. 

I used my crop-a-dile to punch holes on each end then used some ink in a tea-dye color along the torn edges to give it a bit of a distressed look. (You can use any brand of ink, this is just what I grabbed)

Then I grabbed some paint (orange and antique white) and some gold glitter glue to paint little dots along the edges. 
Set aside to dry! 

Once the paint was dry I used a brown marker to write "Candy Corn Kisses" 

To attach it to the jar, I simply pulled twine through the holes and tied it in the back. Then I filled with some yummy Indian Corn. It's my favorite then the pumpkins then candy corn. So many choices don't you think? :-)

All finished amongst some cute little pumpkins.

And there it is with some of my other Fall Decorations for my Entryway Table.

So a super cute addition to my fall decor, that probably didn't even need a tutorial, that adds some yummy goodness to my welcoming table! What do you think? Do you have a favorite candy or treat that you eat this time of year?



Sometimes I link up here:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 2 post on Oct. 02, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...